Helping Houstonians Become Sustainable Homebuyers
Buying a house for the first time can be scary, if you are not prepared. We will make sure that you are ready to buy and that you have a good understanding of home-buying assistance programs that are right for you.
*PLEASE NOTE: For the safety of our clients and staff, all in-person classes have been CANCELLED until further notice. See below for current class options.
Ready to buy a home?
Develop your roadmap to homeownership by completing one of Avenue’s HUD-certified First-Time Homebuyer’s Classes and optional Individualized Homebuyer Counseling session. We currently offer two options: 1) Avenue Virtual Course and 2) eHome Online Course. Use the chart to help you decide which course is right for you.
Here’s what you'll do in the First-Time Homebuyer’s Class:
- Review your finances to determine an affordable home purchase price and loan amount for your budget.
- Learn about different loan options and how to decide which one is best for you.
- Understand the process of buying a home so you can avoid pitfalls and feel confident at each decision point.
- Prepare yourself to protect your investment for the long term.
- Learn if you are eligible for assistance programs that can help with down payments and closing costs.
- After the class, sign up for your Individualized Homebuyer Counseling appointment (see Counseling tab for details).
Here’s what you’ll do in Individualized Homebuyer Counseling:
Please note: Counseling is available only after taking the 8-hour First-Time Homebuyer’s Class (see Education tab for details).
- Complete a budget to determine the total mortgage payment you can afford in the long-term.
- Calculate your debt-to-income ratio—the way a lender will—to estimate how much mortgage you might be approved for.
- Look at different payment scenarios you would face, based on different loan amounts, products, terms, and assistance programs you are eligible for.
- Discuss questions that pertain to your particular situation.
- Develop an Action Plan to guide you along your next steps.
Beginning in January 2019, The Homeownership Center will be providing soft credit pulls to all counseling clients at no cost. This new addition to counseling will provide each client with a full Tri-Merge Credit Report and all three Credit Scores from the three Credit Bureaus. This credit pull will be for counseling purposes only and will not affect a client's credit score.
All clients will receive their Homebuyer’s Certificate upon successful completion of the First Time Homebuyers’ Class.