Helping Houstonians Become Sustainable Homebuyers
Ready to buy a home?
Develop your roadmap to homeownership by attending one of Avenue’s HUD-certified First-Time Homebuyer’s Classes and Individualized Homebuyer Counseling session.
Classes take place regularly at our office on Saturdays (our English classes are from 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., and our Spanish classes from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.)
Cost is $40 per person. Advance registration is required.
Here’s what you'll do in the First-Time Homebuyer’s Class:
- Review your finances to determine an affordable home purchase price and loan amount for your budget.
- Learn about different loan options and how to decide which one is best for you.
- Understand the process of buying a home so you can avoid pitfalls and feel confident at each decision point.
- Prepare yourself to protect your investment for the long term.
- Learn if you are eligible for assistance programs that can help with down payments and closing costs.
- After the class, sign up for your Individualized Homebuyer Counseling appointment (see Counseling tab for details).
Our First Time Homebuyers’ Class is also available ONLINE. To take this class online CLICK HERE.
Here’s what you’ll do in Individualized Homebuyer Counseling:
Please note: Counseling is available only after taking the 8-hour First-Time Homebuyer’s Class (see Education tab for details).
- Complete a budget to determine the total mortgage payment you can afford in the long-term.
- Calculate your debt-to-income ratio—the way a lender will—to estimate how much mortgage you might be approved for.
- Look at different payment scenarios you would face, based on different loan amounts, products, terms, and assistance programs you are eligible for.
- Discuss questions that pertain to your particular situation.
- Develop an Action Plan to guide you along your next steps.
To request your Homebuyer's Certificate after completing Education and Counseling with Avenue, submit your Loan Estimate (with the property address you have under contract) to your Avenue Counselor.