Helping Houston Homebuyers become Sustainable Homeowners
Avenue's First Time Homebuyer Program exists to make sure homebuyers have all the tools, resources and knowledge needed to become mortgage ready. We also prepare homebuyers to navigate Houston's housing market as well as the mortgage loan process.
Ready to Buy a Home?
Develop your roadmap to homeownership by completing one of Avenue’s HUD-Certified First-Time Homebuyer’s Classes.
Here’s what you'll do in the First-Time Homebuyer’s Class:
- Review your finances to determine an affordable home purchase price and loan amount for your budget.
- Learn about different loan options and how to decide which one is best for you.
- Understand the process of buying a home so you can avoid pitfalls and feel confident at each decision point.
- Prepare yourself to protect your investment for the long term.
- Learn if you are eligible for assistance programs that can help with down payments and closing costs.
We currently offer two class options. Use the chart below to help you decide which course is right for you.
Here’s what you’ll do in Individualized Homebuyer Counseling:
- Complete a budget to determine the total mortgage payment you can afford in the long-term.
- Calculate your debt-to-income ratio—the way a lender would—to estimate how much mortgage you might be approved for.
- Look at different mortgage payment scenarios based on different loan amounts, products, terms, and assistance programs you are eligible for.
- Develop an Action Plan to guide you along your next steps.
The Homeownership Center provides soft credit pulls to all counseling clients at no cost. This credit pull will be for counseling purposes only and will not affect a client's credit score.
All clients will receive the HUD-Certified Homebuyer’s Certificate upon successful completion of the First Time Homebuyers’ Class.