The Housing Counselor is expected to provide comprehensive individual pre-purchase housing counseling for prospective homeowners. The Housing Counselor’s main responsibility is to provide one-on-one counseling and essential support and follow-up to help the client achieve their housing goals.
- Conduct comprehensive individual counseling sessions.
- Understand and utilize organizational tools and systems to assess client mortgage-readiness, assist in developing an action plan, a household budget and reviewing credit.
- Ability to assess a client’s housing and financial needs and provide relevant resources, guidance and tools to assist in client’s preparation for homeownership.
- Proactively manage work load, calendar and client appointments to help meet the goals of the organization and serve the client effectively.
- Develop sufficient rapport with clients to have meaningful conversations with them about their finances and housing needs.
- Adhere to all guidelines related to the confidentiality of client records and information and requirements per the HUD Housing Counseling Handbook and National Industry Standards for Homebuyer Education and Counseling.
- Accurately and timely enter data into the organization’s client management system.
- Maintain contact with clients in follow-up until termination/an outcome is reached.
- Contribute to the process of preparing regularly reports as needed.
- Create clients’ digital files per organizational and HUD guidelines.
- Ensure that quality-control measures are followed and that customer satisfaction is a priority of the counseling program.
- Assists the team with special projects as assigned and other tasks deemed necessary to achieve overall goals and operate a successful program.
- Participate in outreach events.
- Provide customer service to clients entering the office or calling in.
- Participate in the rotation to teach homebuyer and financial education workshops.
Systems Regularly Used
Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, Power Point)
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; develops alternative solutions; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Managing Customer Focus - Promotes customer focus; monitors customer satisfaction.
- Financial Acumen – Maintains and applies a broad understanding of financial management principles to ensure decisions are fiscally sound and responsible for the customer.
- Consultative Skills- Assists with qualifying potential customers; builds rapport and establishes trust; asks questions to discover client business needs; presents solutions that meet customer objectives; manages and documents lending/housing process.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Employee must be fluent in English and Spanish, written, spoken, and read.
- Housing Council experience highly desirable
- Banking and/or Lending Experience a plus
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This position requires frequent sitting, occasional walking, standing, stooping, bending and twisting of the neck, bending and twisting from the waist, and reaching overhead. This position requires frequent fine manipulation and simple grasping of both right and left hands (e.g. typing, holding telephone receiver, and utilizing writing implements.) This position requires occasional lifting of no more than 30 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and color vision.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The work environment is a temperature-controlled office with a moderate noise level. In the event of work being performed outside of a temperature-controlled office environment, it is required that appropriate clothing, footwear and PPE are always worn to maintain safety standards.
What We Offer:
In addition to opportunity for growth and meaningful work, Avenue offers a very generous benefit and paid leave package to eligible employees.
- Short Term Disability - 100% Employer Paid
- Long Term Disability - 100% Employer Paid
- Life Insurance & ADD - 100% Employer Paid
- 401k Plan with Employer Match
- Medical – 100% Employer Paid for base plan (four plans offered) *
*required to work average of 30 hours+ per week to be eligible for this benefit
Avenue offers work/life balance through:
- Paid Vacation for both Part-Time and Full-Time Employees
- Sick Leave
- Holiday Pay
- Paid Parental Leave
To apply, please submit the following information via email to
- Cover letter that explains the following:
- how your skills and experience are relevant to advancing the tasks outlined for this position and;
- your salary requirements.
- Three professional references
At this time, only e-mail applications will be accepted. No phone calls, please.
Avenue is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
|Job Category||Family Asset Building|