Helping Houstonians Become Sustainable Homebuyers
At Avenue we offer a range of services and programs to assist you on your journey to buying a home. We first see where you are in the home buying process, then provide a roadmap to guide you through everything from qualifying for a mortgage loan, to shopping for your home, to protecting your investment for the long term.
Ready to buy a home?
Develop your roadmap to homeownership by attending one of Avenue’s HUD-certified First-Time Homebuyer’s Classes and Individualized Homebuyer Counseling session.
Classes take place on Saturdays from 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
Both English and Spanish classes are available every month.
Cost is $40 per person. Advance registration is required.
Here’s what you'll do in the First-Time Homebuyer’s Class:
- Review your finances to determine an affordable home purchase price and loan amount for your budget.
- Learn about different loan options and how to decide which one is best for you.
- Understand the process of buying a home so you can avoid pitfalls and feel confident at each decision point.
- Prepare yourself to protect your investment for the long term.
- Learn if you are eligible for assistance programs that can help with down payments and closing costs.
- After the class, sign up for your Individualized Homebuyer Counseling appointment (see Counseling tab for details).
Our First Time Homebuyers’ Class is also available ONLINE. To take this class online CLICK HERE.
Here’s what you’ll do in Individualized Homebuyer Counseling:
Please note: Counseling is available only after taking the 8-hour First-Time Homebuyer’s Class (see Education tab for details).
- Complete a budget to determine the total mortgage payment you can afford in the long-term.
- Calculate your debt-to-income ratio—the way a lender will—to estimate how much mortgage you might be approved for.
- Look at different payment scenarios you would face, based on different loan amounts, products, terms, and assistance programs you are eligible for.
- Discuss questions that pertain to your particular situation.
- Develop an Action Plan to guide you along your next steps.
Beginning in January 2019, The Homeownership Center will be providing soft credit pulls to all counseling clients at no cost. This new addition to counseling will provide each client with a full Tri-Merge Credit Report and all three Credit Scores from the three Credit Bureaus. This credit pull will be for counseling purposes only and will not affect a client's credit score.
To request your Homebuyer's Certificate after completing Education and Counseling with Avenue, submit your Loan Estimate (with the property address you have under contract) to your Avenue Counselor.