The objective of the Repair Services of Avenue’s Housing Recovery Program is to provide the primary residents with a safe, water tight and healthy home that can provide for the daily needs of life (eating, bathing, and sleeping) and will shorten the timeline for their return home from temporary housing. The Repair Services are limited to houses affected by Hurricane Harvey (water or wind damage). The Limited Scope of Repair Services that follows outlines the limitations of the repair work that Avenue will complete. Additional work to the home will likely be required after Avenue completes the Limited Scope of Repair. Additionally, it is recognized that every home and every resident’s experiences are unique. Hence, flexibility in individual cases may be required and may be constrained by resources.
Avenue’s repair program is zip code specific to make the repair program feasible and targets particularly vulnerable individuals. To best assist clients in their overall recovery, all applicants for the repair program are required to attend the Housing Recovery Workshop and work one-on-one with a housing counselor through out the process.
Home Repair Program
Grant funds for home repair are made available to eligible applications on a first come, first served basis. Applicants must meet basic eligibility requirements outlined below:
- Affected by Hurricane Harvey (water or wind damage)
- Have rights to long-term residence of damaged property
- Home has not flooded three (3) or more times
- Residence is in one of the following zip codes: 77009, 77016, 77022, 77026, 77028, 77037, 77040, 77076, 77088, 77091, 77092, 77093
- Member of a particularly vulnerable population
- Member of household is a child under the age of 14 or a pregnant woman
- Member of household is elderly (62 years of age as of date of Intake)
- Member of household has a disability
- Ineligible for FEMA
- Be willing and able to purchase/maintain homeowner’s insurance (if non-flooding Harvey damage) or purchase/maintain flood insurance (if flooded) and provide policy information at time of application.
- Household Income at or below 100% Area Median Income (see chart below)
TO APPLY: Attendance at the Housing Recovery Workshop and completion of the One-on-One Housing Recovery Counseling is obligatory (learn more). All interested applicants who believe they might be eligible after reviewing the above should apply through the Housing Recovery Counselor to be screened for basic eligibility. If applicant meets basic eligibility criteria the counselor will then complete Verification of Income process to confirm income eligibility.