Avenue Helps Houstonians Become Sustainable Homebuyers
At Avenue we offer a variety of services and programs designed to assist you on your journey to buying a home. We first gauge where you are in the home buying process, then provide a roadmap to guide you through everything from qualifying for a mortgage loan, to shopping for your home, to protecting your investment for the long term.
Ready to Buy a Home?
Develop Your Roadmap to homeownership by attending one of Avenue’s HUD-certified First-Time Homebuyer’s Classes & Individualized Homebuyer Counseling Session.
- Classes take place regularly at our office on Saturdays from 9:00 AM–5:00 PM.
- Cost is $40 per person. Registration is required.
- Click on the REGISTER TODAY! button to create an account and register
ONLINE CLASS (e-Home)
- Available 24/7, complete in 4-8 hours depending on familiarity with topics
- Cost is $100 per household. Registration is required.
- Click on the REGISTER TODAY! button to create an account with Avenue and register with e-Home (our online course provider).
Here’s what you’ll do in the First-Time Homebuyer’s Class:
- Evaluate your finances to determine an affordable home purchase price and loan amount for your budget.
- Learn about different loan products and how to evaluate which one best suits your home purchase needs.
- Understand the process of buying a home so you can avoid pitfalls and feel confident at each decision point.
- Position yourself to protect your investment for the long term.
- Learn if you are eligible for available programs for down payment and closing costs assistance programs.
- After the class, sign up for your Individualized Homebuyer Counseling appointment.
Here’s what you’ll do in the Individualized Homebuyer Counseling:
- Complete a thorough budget to determine the total mortgage payment you can sustain long-term.
- Calculate your debt-to-income ratio—the way a lender will—to get an estimate of how much mortgage you could get approved for.
- Model different payment scenarios based on different loan amounts, products, terms, and assistance programs you are eligible for.
- Discuss questions that pertain to your particular situation.
- Develop an Action Plan to guide you along your next steps.
- Counseling is available only after taking the 8-hour First-Time Homebuyer’s Class.
Already own a home?
Proactively Maintain Your Home as a valuable asset for your long-term financial stability through Avenue’s Post-Purchase Workshops & Individualized Homeowner’s Counseling appointments.
What you’ll do in the Post-Purchase Workshops:
- Prepare for property tax protest
- Prepare your toolkit and skill set for essential home maintenance and repairs
- Learn design tips for to maximize safety
- Learn tips for energy efficiency
- Learn about civic engagement in your community
- Apply for your Homestead/Senior/Disability Exemption
What you’ll do in the Individualized Homeowner’s Counseling:
- Get advice on how to protest property taxes
- Evaluate if now is the right time to refinance
- Discuss questions that pertain to your particular situation
- Develop an Action Plan to guide you with your next steps
Have you fallen behind on your mortgage and need guidance on available resources, options and/or help negotiating with lenders? Call to find out if you are eligible for Foreclosure Prevention Counseling. If you don’t qualify, we can direct you to other community resources to guide you or to a self-help portal for more guidance. Call 713-864-9099 for assistance.
In Need of Home Repair?
Eligible individuals can apply for major repairs to their homestead through Avenue’s collaborative Rebuilding Northside Together program. Call for more information. Call 713-864-9099 for assistance.